Are you ready to work on your relationship in an impartial setting– safely and confidentially? Heather Merrill & Kate Scolatti are our on-site couples counseling specialists. Relationship counseling can help you troubleshoot a specific issue or shift out of long-standing relationship habits.
HOW WE HELP COUPLES
Breaking Old Habits
Couples get stuck. Relationships get stuck. Feeling stuck is often what leads a couple to seek out help. Both Heather and Kate have been trained in an attachment-oriented approach to couples counseling, which helps partners identify the root cause of their stuckness in order to move forward. Using this approach, we help clients heal relationship wounds, move toward greater intimacy, and learn to respond in tune to each other’s needs.
Beating the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Do you and your partner engage in any (or all) of John Gottman’s “Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse”: Contempt, Criticism, Defensiveness, or Stonewalling? These communication patterns can become corrosive to a relationship. We love helping couples create new habits for communicating and responding to each other’s “bids” for connection.
Culturally Responsive Counseling
- Create a firm foundation for dealing with conflicts
- Understand what each other is bringing to the relationship
- Understand each other’s needs more clearly
- Explore expectations for married life
- Create a shared vision for the future
- In blended families– learn how to handle the pull of different loyalties and demands of forming a new family with step-children
Resolving Common Issues
- communication struggles
- commitment questions
- coping with change
- negotiating tasks
- stress or anxiety
- or sexual difficulties.
LGBTQ+ Relationship Counseling
"We've got this gift of love, but love is like a precious plant. You can't just accept it and leave it in the cupboard or just think it's going to get on by itself. You've got to keep watering it. You've got to really look after it and nurture it."
“Assumptions are the termites of relationships."
"Admit when you're wrong. Shut up when you're right."
RESOURCES FOR COUPLES
- “Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love” by Dr. Sue Johnson
- “The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work” by John Gottman
- “The Relationship Cure” by John Gottman
- “The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts” by Gary Chapman
- “47 Little Love Boosters for a Happy Marriage: Connect and Instantly Deepen Your Bond No Matter How Busy You Are” by Marko Petkovic
We’re ready when you are! Schedule an appointment with Heather Merrill, LMHC or Kate Scolatti, LMFT today!